Our Trip to Savannah

What a whirlwind trip! The drive to Savannah with a baby/almost toddler in tow is about 13 hours from my house. For those of you who know me well, it has been a long time since I’ve been okay with travelling in a car for any long distances. But, when I knew that my brother was reaching a milestone in his career and that it would be nice if we could be there to witness it, I decided to do something I never thought I would do…go to Savannah. The trip itself was uneventful and beautiful. I was able to see parts of Ohio and West Virginia that I had never seen before. We also drove through three states that I hadn’t even been in before: Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

My mother also came with Mike, Katy and me. David didn’t know that she was coming. (As a matter of fact, the whole trip ended up being a last minute decision anyway.) David came over to our hotel room when we got into town. Mom opened the door and was standing behind it so he couldn’t see her. The look on his face was great because he could see all of us in the room and was wondering who had opened the door. He was shocked to see my mom.

The next day, Friday, we went to his ceremony and then spent the afternoon/evening walking around downtown and along the river. The Tall Ships event was going on, so we were able to see a lot of neat sailing ships that had come into the harbor. River Street was fascinating, though a bit crowded. That was the first time I had ever walked on real cobblestones. The cobblestones were a challenge to push the stroller on. There really wasn’t enough time to see the entire city or experience everything, but it was neat.

On Saturday we spent the whole day with David. He took us to Forsyth Park. It is a neat place to walk around. The fountain is beautiful and the Spanish moss on the trees gives the park a neat atmosphere. The houses in that neighborhood are quite amazing. It was rather hot so we didn’t linger there too long. We drove out to Tybee Island and then went to the beach. That was Katy’s first experience of a beach and the first time I had seen the ocean since I was about 10. Katy loved playing in the water and crawling around in the sand. At one point she was even crawling on the beach in the edge of the water. She didn’t try to eat the sand, but the shells seemed quite tasty to her. There was once that my mom asked me what she was putting in her mouth. I looked down at her just in time to see her stuffing a shell into her mouth and then giving me the most innocent look. She was mad when I fished the shell out of her mouth. After getting cleaned up we went to a restaurant called Johnny Harris. The building was amazing inside, sort of like a dinner club from the fifties, and the food was tasty.

After we went back to the hotel and got Katy in bed, Mike and I left her and my mom and went to the Laundromat. I had chosen to cloth diaper Katy while on the trip since I really didn’t want to buy disposables. We had picked out a hotel that had laundry facilities, but when we arrived we found out that the washer and dryer were out of order. sad So, at 10 at night we had to drive to a coin laundry and try to stay awake long enough to get her diapers washed and dried. For those who have ever thought of cloth diapering while on a trip, it really wasn’t that bad. I brought along everything I would normally have at the house and only had to do laundry once while we were there. The one thing I learned is that you should always call the hotel and make sure that their laundry facilities are in order before booking a room.

Sunday was a much more laid back day. We (Mike, Mom, Katy and I) went to a botanical garden and walked around and then ate lunch. Apparently no one ever picnics in that area because the flies were evil. There was a little bit of baby food on a napkin that they could get to and there were probably 10 flies on it. Yuck! Needless to say we didn’t hang out there very long. After that we went to visit David who had had to work the night before and visited with him for awhile. We watched a movie while Katy played. Katy got so tired and fussy that finally I just went and laid her down on the floor in David’s office and she fell promptly asleep. When it was time to leave I started crying because I miss my brother and I wish that he hadn’t moved so far away.

Monday was once again a day of travel. The weather was mostly okay until evening. There was a little bit of rain in the mountains, but it didn’t cause any problems. We came home a different way than then way we went down. We did so so that we could visit Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Mike had never been there before. We could have probably spent the rest of the day there, but we wanted to get home so we had to kind of rush. I helped drive part of the way home and some of that was through some nasty rain. Up until that point Mike, my road warrior husband, had done all of the driving. Personally, I’m not really sure how anyone can drive that long, but obviously, there are a lot of amazing people out there who can just get in the car and drive.

I am so grateful that God granted us safe travel. It was great to be able to see my brother and visit with him. It was also nice to go somewhere and see new things and watch Katy as she was discovering and playing and being her sweet self. The trip went so well that I am almost looking forward to doing more travelling in the future. happy

This entry was posted in Xanga Archives. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Our Trip to Savannah

  1. MollyDraga says:

    Great pictures, Mandy! Glad you were able to go in peace, and I’m sure David was thrilled! I tried cloth diapering Daniel on a 17 hour car trip to MN when he was about 5 months old…we cloth diapered him until he was two. But never again on a road trip :P. And of course, that was in the dark ages. Heh. Love to your mom for me, and a soft hug for that little cutie of yours, too. ❤

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s