1. Put God first. Set aside time for Him. Not just individually, but as a couple.
2. Put your spouse above yourself. Consider his or her desires more important than your own.
3. Don’t allow expectations to dominate your relationship. Only bad things can come from it.
4. If you have unfulfilled expectations and are grumpy about it, you must deal with it quickly.
5. If you are hurt or upset, you need to talk the problem out. Talk about it, pray about it, don’t let it rest until there is a peace between you and your spouse.
6. Forgive when you’re hurt. Forgive when you’re upset. Forgive when you don’t want to or don’t feel like it. Forgive, forgive, forgive. We are hurting ourselves and sowing seeds of bitterness which will destroy the relationship if we don’t forgive.
7. Love. Love brings joy when it is unconditional. We must love, even when it hurts.