So, maybe some of you are wondering, “What’s up with the profile pic?” It was taken this week in the midst of a very tiring project. After living on the farm for quite a few years our dogs were used to running around where ever they pleased. Since moving last September they have been kenneled or tied most of the time. They haven’t been very happy with that situation and because we live in a neighborhood now, we can’t just let them run. So, this week has been devoted to putting in an underground fence for the dogs.
We were able to rent a trencher that buries the wire as you go along, but there were areas that we had to dig by hand. We started on Monday evening and had it all in by last night. When I plugged it in to make sure it was working, the light didn’t come on. Do you know how discouraging it is to spend two days burying wire and then to discover you may have to dig some of it back up to figure out the problem? We actually figured that the problem was caused by a faulty wire nut. We were able to find it quickly and didn’t have to pull up too many feet of wire. Once we fixed the problem the fence worked. Hooray!! I’m happy it is done.
Today we put flags in and did some other finishing touches. I think we will begin training the dogs on Saturday. In some ways I think it will be harder to train the dogs than to put in the fence. Working with something that has a mind of it’s own can be a challenge.
Here is a picture of my mom digging a path through the woods so we could bury the wire. The worst part about that was that I was crawling through poison ivy. I think that I managed to avoid getting it, but we’ll see.